This blog is way overdue.
When I moved to Bonn, I brought a huge suitcase, a backpack, a CD album and a tv box (big enough to fit my bolster, don't snigger you can't get bolters of that size in Germany). I don't know what I was thinking - it was a lot to carry!
It was a struggle to get everything on the train, off the train and into the cab. And I was so grateful that each time, a gallant stranger would offer a helping hand. At my final stop in Siegburg, this kind soul helped carry my stuff all the way to the cab.
I now realise this kindly gesture is often offered at the Hauptbanhof. Without a word, someone would help hoist your bag into the train. These days, I make an effort to lend a helping hand to anyone who looks like they need it - provided their bags ain't heavier than me!
One lovely spring evening in April, whilst Vincent was dispatched to check out business opportunities and green tehcnology at the Hannover Fair, I took Timmy for our regular walks at Rheinaue. I let Timmy off the leash at this vast open space, me thinks it looks like a meadow. It's a popular spot with dogs and people.
I was engaged in a conversation with Cleo's owner and took my eyes off Timmy for 5 minutes. The next time I scanned the field for him, he was nowhere to be found. The panic built-up very quickly. In no time I was shouting his name frantically. I didn't know where to start looking - the Rheinaue is a huge park. I wished I had a bicycle to cover more ground quickly and I called Ivy who was going to get a cab over.
Cleo's owner and the other regular folks at the park organised themselves into two search parties. I was told to stay where I was in case Timmy returned to the spot where he last saw me. The panic was trully unbearable. I had run out to the main road and was seized by terror at the thought of Timmy getting knocked over.
Twenty minutes later, I received an SMS "we found Timi". I was weak with relief. Cleo's owner, Winfred and his daughter had found Timmy hanging around the bus stop where we had alighted. He certainly didn't look like he had lost or missed me. I realise that the presence of a German Shepherd had probably unnerved Timmy, he was bitten by one several months earlier. By this time, Ivy had arrived and was tottering about in her heels.
What would I have done if these kind folks had not helped? I got doggie treats for them.
I've always tried to do one good deed a day. It's not as easy as it seems! Opportunities don't come by often. Here's a picture of Timmy at the Rheinaue:
No comments:
Post a Comment