Thursday, June 3, 2010

Goodbye Uncle Doggie

Uncle Doggie passed away at home at 820 this morning. We had been neighbours for 8 years. I started chatting with him whenever I walked Timmy at the field and Uncle Doggie could be found under the bamboo grove reading the papers. Uncle Doggie can be aloof, he doesn't talk to everybody but somehow we got along just fine. There were always some topics to discuss in business or politics. Occasionally, we'd bump into him at Lucky Restaurant where he would be chilling with friends over beer.

Uncle Doggie was instrumental in helping my sister buy her home and selling my parents' place. He connected the dots but wanted nothing in return. He was also kind enough to help me rescue tadpoles from the field one monsoon when the puddles threatened to dry out.

When Uncle Doggie was diagnosed with third stage liver cancel, it was hard not to despair for we realise it was probably an un-winnable battle. The best I could do was get him Manuka Honey which he told me strengthened his immune system as he underwent chemotheraphy. By then, Uncle Doggie was a shadow of his former self.

The last time I met him was during CNY, he took us out for dinner. We could see he was frail and no longer had appetite but he wanted to thank us for the honey. I had been thinking and praying for him, I wanted to call but didn't know what to say. I can only pray that he is in God's grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment